The Courage to Be Yourself 6-Week Course
Back in 2008 I had no idea that my life was in chaos because I had sacrificed myself for everyone around me…the needs of my spouse, and my kids, and my role of mother, all came before my needs. As long as everyone else was happy, shouldn’t I be?
I felt immensely guilty and selfish that I wasn’t happy. I felt ungrateful and tried to muster up the emotional strength to keep a smile on my face. Afterall, everyone else I knew was struggling just as much.
I thought it was because I had three kids under 6. I thought it was because of all of the external factors of my life that I couldn’t control. I thought that this was normal.
Until….I lost myself. It was in this vulnerable state that I had an affair. I wasn’t out looking for it, that’s for sure. But I was so drained it just sort of happened.
As you can guess, it led me to the brink of divorce and I had a choice to make. I could either ante up and take a look at myself or I could run and hide. Although I felt unappreciated, unseen and unloved I knew I had to check the box of ‘therapy’ before I decided what to do.
I wasn’t even really very genuine when I started. I was exhausted and just happy to have one hour to talk to an adult and not have kids hanging all over me. It was then that I got serious about my personal development, ended the affair, and began cleaning up the thinking and beliefs that were destroying my life.
At that time I stumbled upon this book The Courage to Be Yourself. It was a library roulette choice. We were about ready to drive up to North Carolina for a summer vacation and I needed something to read so I went over to the emotional self-help section of the South County Regional Library and literally grabbed anything off the shelf. And this was it! And it changed my life.
Here’s a summary from the back cover:
Geared to women who too often find themselves meeting the wants of others at the expense of their own needs, The Courage to Be Yourself provides necessary tools to help readers transform their fears into the courage to express their own authentic selves. By sharing her own journey and the journey of other women, Sue Patton Thoele helps readers learn to set boundaries, change self-defeating behavior patterns, communicate effectively, and, most importantly, become a loving and tolerant friend to themselves.
So now ten years later I am ready to revisit this revolutionary book and help you transform some of your own thinking and beliefs that may be getting in your way and you don’t even know it. I believe this message can be as powerful for you today as it was for me back then.
What can you expect to receive when you join this course?
- A weekly video conference class Thursdays at 9pm EST/6pm PST led by me with discussion and open dialogue
- A weekly assignment to help you uncover some of your own blocks that are preventing you from really maximizing your life and relationships
- A private FB group for discussion between classes
- An opportunity to meet new friends and share in a safe, non-judgmental environment
- A chance to work privately with me if you’d like to dive deeper
What can you expect from me as the course leader?
- You can expect me to listen and ask you insightful questions
- You can expect me to come to each class prepared to share my heart with you
- You can expect transparency and honesty as I teach some of the toughest lessons I have had to learn in my life
- You can expect a non-judgmental coach whose only goal is to help you grow towards the vision you have for your life
What do I expect from you if you choose to participate?
- I expect you to show up for class prepared and ready to learn
- I expect you to listen and respect the opinions of others as they are growing too
- I expect you to be vulnerable and open to sharing your world with us
- I expect you to keep all conversation that happens inside this class confidential
- You will need to purchase the book The Courage to Be Yourself by Sue Patton Thoele
How do you register?
This course will run for 6 weeks at 9pm EST beginning on Thursday, April 19th and conclude on Thursday, May 24th. To secure your spot please register online by clicking the button below. The small investment in your happiness is $149.
How do you participate?
This course takes place over video conference on a platform called Zoom. It’s free and easy to use. You’ll need a webcam or you can download the app on your phone. You will receive course instructions by email on Wednesday, April 18th. Please order the book Courage to Be Yourself now so you are ready to get started.
If you have any questions between now and then please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: Courage to Be Yourself Class. Thanks!